The Pre-Euthanasia Consultation
The decision to euthanase your companion animal may be one of the most difficult decisions you ever make. For some it is overwhelming, conflicted by uncertainty and guilt – this is a normal response to a very difficult situation.
We offer pre-euthanasia consultations, when it is felt that the ‘time for euthanasia’ is quite soon, a matter of days or perhaps weeks, however you require further guidance on timing, and further support for your pet’s comfort and quality of life.
Our Pre-euthanasia consultation is a 60 to 120 minute in-home consultation that includes:
– Review of your pet’s current illness, symptoms, medications and care plan (as applicable)
– Gentle physical examination of your pet
– Quality of life discussion
– Guidance on “when is time” – according to factors relevant for you and your pet
– Enhancing pain relief and symptom control, so that your pet can be kept as comfortable as possible
– Guidance on avoiding a crisis and what to do if a crisis occurs, with out-of-hours support and back-up options.
We can focus on any of the above aspects, however with pre-euthanasia consultations the main concerns tends to be on quality of life (now and in the upcoming days or weeks) and guidance in deciding ‘when is time’ for euthanasia.
Caring for a beloved pet with a serious illness or a declining quality of life, and facing difficult decisions can be very upsetting and seem overwhelming at times. We are here to help.